17.1.09

Hong Kong - FOTAN Open House

www.fotanian.com



I set off in search of FOTAN, thinking that I would move on to 1a:space (www.oneaspace.org.hk) at Ma Tau Kok by late afternoon. I was so wrong. Haaa... By the time I was done, Shaun & Eileen had arrived in Hong Kong. In all, I've spent almost 7 hours at FOTAN!! That was when I started wondering how my space will look like if I had a studio there.

NOTE 1: LIFT LOBBY
I stupidly waited for the lift door to open!! HA!! Turn out that, you need to manually slide open and close the 2 metal gates to get in and out the lift!! Then as advised, get to the 18th floor and slowly take the stairs down to visit the rest of the studios. Sometimes I do enjoy a moment like that - amused with something and laughing at myself.



NOTE 2: STAIRWAY
There are dark corners in between swing doors and a little curb at the end of the last step. Be careful of the swing door as someone might be pushing it from the opposite side and you might get knocked.



NOTE 3: SIGHT & SMELL
What's bizarre about FOTAN is the coexistence of art studios and other tenants in the industrial estate. Unlike Beijing's 798 Art District where old factories were cleared and converted into galleries/studios, FOTAN juxtaposes The Artist, The Butcher, The Metal Man, The Printer, The Rice Dumpling Seller all into one area.







For detailed map, check out: www.fotanian.com/map.php




Studio Bibliothèque
studiobibliotheque.blogspot.com
Unit 12, 18/F, Block B, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.






MOUNTAIN LOFT
www.wongtinyan.com
Unit 7, 17/F, Block B, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.





LEE'S WORKSHOP
Unit 14, 12/F, Block B, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.





917° PLAYGROUND
Unit 15, 13/F, Block B, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.








818 STUDIO
Unit 18, 8/F, Block B, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.








I love sunlight and shadow play. Accompanying me through out the lonely walk from 18 floors down Block B and then 18 floors down Block A was none other than The Sun - awaiting my visit at every window.







YILIU PAINTING FACTORY
Unit 21, 15/F, Block A, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.




STUDIO 1023
chowchunfai.com
Unit 23, 10/F, Block A, Wah Luen Industrial Centre.
15-21 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.

What a coincidence. I saw his works in one one the Italian gallery at Moganshan, Shanghai. I remember Jenny singing the Old Shanghai tune to Irene & me. This time round, he exhibited his paintings with the song in DVD format. O!! I love those platform with drawers for archiving.






Great view...




VONNIE
I bumped into this nice stranger after visiting 30 over studios of the entire Wah Luen Industrial Centre (Block A & Block B). She said her friends have left cos the smell was affecting them. So we decided to check out the rest of the studios together. Pretty amazing how we clicked and kept each other company through the stairs and lifts of various obscure spaces.




35GROUP
Unit 4, 5/F Block A, Wah Sang Industrial Centre
14-18 Wong Chuk Yeung Street. Fo Tan.




L'EAU
Unit D35, 20/F Block D, Wah Lok Industrial Centre
35 Shan Mei Street. Fo Tan.






THE PHOTOCRAFTERS X WORK AND WORKSHOP
www.thephotocrafters.com
Unit 6, 1/F Block A, Veristrong Industrial Center
34-36 Au Pui Wan Street. Fo Tan.


No comments: